Friday, April 22, 2016

Drink Local

I am an avid beer drinker. Lagers, IPAs, Stouts, I love them all. I am always happy to crack a Miller Lite, but nothing is better than beer fresh from the source. That's one of the many reasons I love drinking craft beer. The smaller the brewery the closer to the source you have to get it, and some beers you can only get at the brewery itself.

When I lived in Indiana I of course enjoyed the Indianapolis staple of Sun King, they have 3 great year round brews and a host of seasonal offerings. You can even buy Sun King at Banker's Life Fieldhouse while taking in a Pacers game. But Indianapolis has a great craft beer scene. Grab some Tow Yard, Black Acre, Beir, Daredevil, Three Wise Men... the list goes on! Of course I lived an hour from Indy, so Columbus was a much closer option, being home to Zwanzigz and 450 North (both serving delicious pizza as well).
Now that I live in Chicago though, there are breweries all around. Most everybody is familiar with the big ones Goose Island (and their nationally distributed 312 Urban Wheat), Lagunitas (which brews in both California and Chicago), and Revolution (who has been canning their Anti-Hero IPA and Eugene Porter since I started enjoying craft beer). But there are so many in the city that I have 6 within a mile of me.
I have made to Half Acre (creator of the Daisy Cutter IPA in North Center) and Begyle Brewing (who brews the easy drinking Freebird American Pale Ale, also in  North Center) so far. But Dovetail Brewery and Spiteful Brewing are an easy walk, and Green Star (part of the Clark St. Uncommon Ground) and Corridor Brewery & Provision (Southport Corridor, owned by the same people who have Dry Hop over in Lakeview East) are not much farther.
Buying beer directly from a brewery is much better for them as businesses, rather than selling to a distributor who then sells to a retailer. It not only bet economically for the brewery, but it is better for the environment and most likely better on your wallet as well. Take a look at a common growler: they are generally made of glass (some are metal), which is recyclable. Now I'm sure you're thinking "Drew, glass bottles and aluminum can are recyclable too", and you're right. But a great many of them don't end up being recycled. It is also a much more intensive process to set up a bottling or canning line than it is to just fill growlers in a tap room.

The next time you go out for beer, go get some from a brewery if you can. You'll be happy that you did.

6 comments:

  1. Interesting write up my friend! However there are several gaps in your assessment that I'd like to point out.
    Have you no love for a refreshing Busch Light? Or how about the King? PBR? Have you never lived the high life, or had the banquet beer?
    And of course you made no mention of your friends South of the border with my personal favorite Dos Equis.
    I find your thoughts on recycling are interesting, but I must disagree. I'll drink beer out of a can, bottle, growler, glass, funnel, boot, tap, pitcher, bucket, you name it. Except a steelers cup. I won't touch a steelers cup.
    And I don't always take out the recycling, but when I do I look like a raging alcoholic.

    I don't always drink beer, but when I do, I drink a lot. And of course I drink Dos Equis...

    ReplyDelete
  2. G'day good sir! It's been a while my friend. You've peaked my attention with interesting article, but real men, like myself, steer clear of the beer.

    I prefer a martini. Shaken. Not stirred. And only for one simple reason; recycling. There is nothing that brings the ladies back around than the sight of me with a martini glass. Ever had ladies all over you as you sloppily drink your growler? I didn't think so. Breweries, like wearing non-working watches, appear to be the latest hip thing to do across the country. Stick with Kettle One and Martini & Rossi. It's the efficient thing to do. Before you know it, you'll be loaning Trebeck's mother shoes from the lady of the evening prior for the walk of shame. Recycling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My dear Connery, your idea of what is cool is as old as your beard hair.
      Where to begin with the martini? Let's start with the glass: using a martini glass is like trying to carry a gallon of water on a dinner plate.
      Next let's look at your preferred mixing method, the "shake" You sir must know the golden rule of mixology. If it contains fruit juice you shake, if not you stir. Shaking a martini creates a bubbly watery soup, similar to pond water.
      Finally lets discuss the olive, really? A salty block with some dirty cheese or garlic? Not in my drink good sir.

      Delete
    2. I'm sorry sir, may I ask who you are?

      Delete
    3. I can slam a revolving door. My personality is so magnetic, I am unable to carry credit cards.
      If I mispronounced your name, you'd feel compelled to change it. Sasquatch has taken a photograph of me. I can speak French. In Russian. If aiwere to pat you on the back, you would list it on your resume. I have inside jokes with complete strangers. I wouldn't be afraid to show my feminine side if I had one. My two cents is worth $37 in change. The last time I flirted with danger, danger got clingy. I am the hit of parties I've never been too.
      I am the most interesting man in the world.

      Delete
  3. 2 parts orange juice
    1 part vodka
    Grenadine to taste

    The OJ

    Pour it in a reusable glass and BAM!! It's ready, once your guests take a sip of this, you just might get away with murder.

    ReplyDelete