Thursday, March 17, 2016

Interview Suiting

So I just moved to Chicago, and I start my new job next week as a Systems Engineer! But before you can get the job, you have to nail the interview.
Now nothing is more important than being truthful about your resume and actually know about the company you're interviewing for. The next most important thing though I think is how you dress. Whenever I look good, I'm much more confident. As stressful as an interview can be, making sure you walk in with you head high is key. 
I always go full suit for my interviews, even though a majority of jobs in the Engineering field are business casual. I believe wearing a suit and tie shows how seriously you are taking the interview. Engineering is also a more conservative field so you should play to your audience. In my case, I went navy suit (this one a slim cut from Topman), and then a solid and a pattern. No pattern mixing just in case, I'm not interviewing to work for Tom Ford or anything.
I actually interviewed in this white button down (from Uniqlo) and this slim green and navy tie (from the Tie Bar). The most useful tip I have received regarding tie width is to try and match the width of your tie to the width of your suit lapels. I had another option ready to go for my interview just in case, but didn't make the choice until the morning of.
I like to pair my navy suit with rich brown shoes and belt. The dark brown is the only option to me, because I think light brown just doesn't have the same effect. Never go with black shows or belt, you can just save those for black or gray suits.
Suit: Topman | Shirt: Uniqlo | Tie & Socks: Tie Bar | Boots: Aston Grey | Belt: Levi's


2 comments:

  1. My sentiments exactly, I tailored my style after "The Juice" and what I learned from him is in line with your point on brown shows with a blue suit. That's why I always go into my interviews with the brown Dingos, they are Juice approved.

    http://pzrservices.typepad.com/vintageadvertising/2009/10/1979-ad-for-dingo-mens-boots-featuring-oj-simpson.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing this information on interview suiting. This will be helpful in choosing suit for my interview next week. The interviews are being arranged at one of grand venues for corporate events Chicago and hope I will clear my interview to get this job.

    ReplyDelete